Schultz

Justin Schultz became the first Badger defenseman since Craig Norwich to be a two time First-Team All-American.

Men's Hockey: Schultz makes UW history with First-Team All-American honor

Wisconsin men’s hockey junior defenseman Justin Schultz made history, becoming only the second two-time All-American blue liner in program history after the American Hockey Coaches Association (AHCA) announced the teams Friday.

Schultz joins elite company in the annals of Wisconsin men’s hockey history with the All-American honor as he is only the fourth in program history to be named a two-time First-Team All-American, and only the second defenseman to do so. Schultz joins his head coach Mike Eaves (1977, 1978), current UW women’s hockey head coach Mark Johnson (1978, 1979) and Craig Norwich (1976, 1977) among the ranks of two-time first-team honorees in Badger history.

The 2012 AHCA First-Team West All-America honor is just the latest in a string of postseason honors for Schultz. The West Kelowna, British Colombia native has already picked up First Team All-WCHA honors, his second straight WCHA Defensive Player of the Year award and was named a top-10 Hobey Baker Award finalist for the second consecutive year.

This past season Schultz recorded 44 points—which was tops among all blue liners in the country—and his 16 goals led Wisconsin, the first time a defenseman has led the Badgers in goal scoring. He also led the team with 110 shots and a plus-11 rating and shared the team lead with seven power play goals and two game-winning goals.

As an assistant captain this season, Schultz’s importance to Wisconsin’s success this season was evident as he was on the ice for 69 of the Badgers’ 105 goals on the season, 27 of the team’s 33 power play tallies and 10 of UW’s 17 game-winning goals.

Schultz has put together one of the all-time best careers for a Badger defenseman. Through his first three seasons Schultz has put up 40 goals and 73 assists for 113 points, 21 power-play goals, five game-winning goals and 28 multi-point games. During the 2011-’12 season, Schultz became the first Wisconsin blue liner since Brian Rafalski in 1994-’95 to reach the 100 career point mark.

His 40 career goals are third on the all-time list for Badger rear guards and his 113 points are tied for eighth.

Schultz’s honor marks the fourth straight season that a Wisconsin defenseman has been named a First-Team All-American. Schultz was also a first teamer last season following Brendan Smith in 2010 and Jamie McBain in 2009.