Matt Pelham of The Features

Matt Pelham, lead singer and guitarist for The Features, comes from a town near Nashville, Tenn. and is sure to bring a heavy helping of southern rock with him for Wednesday's show.

Forget the espresso, we'll take a shot of rock: The Features boast one badass barista

Sometimes doing what you love takes work, and there might not be a better example of the pursuit of happiness than lead guitarist for The Features, Matt Pelham.

Between bouts of touring in the United States and the UK, raising twin daughters Edith and Mabel, and making The Features’ latest album, Wilderness, Pelham has added an interesting additional commitment to his busy schedule.

“I was a screen printer for a long time and then uh, recently I’ve picked up a job at a Starbucks,” Pelham said in an interview with The Daily Cardinal.

It is difficult to picture this Tennessean rocker, whose voice croons lyrics like “I was born screaming” over slamming, rock riffs, whipping up a Frappuccino, but Pelham insisted even working at chain restaurants is worth it to pursue his career in music.

“It’s not been easy by any means, and I can’t say that it’s really gotten much easier over 15-plus years,” he explained, “but it’s what I like to do so I feel like it’s worth … the sacrifice.”

Pelham said he has always loved music, even before he picked up his first instrument, the banjo, at age eight and soon transitioned to guitar.

“I feel like the guitar is a harder instrument to play,” he said. “They’re both completely different beasts, but the banjo’s really fun.

“I’ve never spent enough time with either [instrument] to become really good at them,” he continued, though he might convince those listening to Wilderness otherwise.

Perhaps the album lacks a complicated shred-fest of guitar, but Wilderness makes up for it in galloping snare beats, handclaps and vintage organs blaring right in time with Pelham’s every strum.

He said the band is fairly pleased with this latest effort, its fourth album.

Wilderness as a records sounds more like I think how everyone in the band expects or wants a record of ours to sound, you know?” he said. “We accomplished more of what we’re going for as a band and I feel like it translates better.”

So how would you classify this successful sound?

“I don’t know that I particularly care what genre we’re in,” he mused, allowing his slight southern drawl to temporarily intensify. “We do what we do and however it’s classified, that’s fine. I just consider it rock music.”

Call it what you will, but drawing on the classics of their youth like Led Zeppelin and The Rolling Stones, The Features promise to bring a raucous show to the High Noon Saloon Wednesday night as they open for J. Roddy Walston & The Business with a Madison band, Little Legend.

Pelham said The Features are excited to play this small venue and he encouraged people to break up their week by heading to the show.

“I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t be disappointed if you were to come out,” he chuckled. “I don’t know; I feel like it’s a good deal.“

Wednesday’s show begins at 8:30 p.m. at the High Noon Saloon on 701 E. Washington Ave. Tickets cost $10 in advance or $12 at the door.