togetherpangea.jpg

Together Pangea shows fans How to DYE at the High Noon Saloon

Together Pangea rocked the High Noon Saloon on Sunday, Sept. 25, as they concluded the Midwest leg of their 2022 How to DYE tour. They featured two openers: self-proclaimed indie surf rock band CAVVES and solo artist Baby Tyler.  

Together Pangea’s high-energy set list primarily featured songs off their newest album “DYE” but also included some of their most popular singles such as “Sick Shit” off the 2014 album “Badillac.” Though it was not part of the intended set list, Together Pangea’s lead singer William Keagen sang a cover of “Androgynous” by The Replacements instead of having a typical mic check. The excited crowd grew even more eager for the rest of the show. 

The crowd was small, even for High Noon Saloon, which is already one of the smaller venues in Madison. Occurring on a chilly Sunday night, I was not overly surprised by the modest turnout. 

Despite the size, the show was still loud and rambunctious: Together Pangea’s typical style.

When the band kicked off the performance, the fans were already dancing erratically. I have seen artists at other shows this small nearly beg for the crowd to form a mosh pit, wall of death or even just to loosen up a little bit. This was not the case for Together Pangea. Against all odds, a small mosh pit formed by the third song.

Together Pangea has roots in the California DIY scene, something made clear in everything from their outfits to their stage banter. Keagen dressed in layered shirts and converse — a very 2014 Tumblr look — and the bassist Danny Bengston wore overalls and a beanie. 

The concert felt like an elevated version of the house shows I went to in high school. Both new and old songs sent fans into a craze. Everyone was ecstatic to be there, and the band was more connected to the audience than most other artists. One of the opening bands even reposted my Instagram story, which is definitely a first. 

Even though Madison was the last stop on their tour, Together Pangea is still playing several shows in the near future. If for some reason you find yourself near Los Angeles on Oct. 27, check out their Halloween Show at the Don Quixote. Don’t get confused though, they will be performing dressed as Nirvana.

Keep up with Together Pangea and their shenanigans on Instagram at @togetherpangea or on their website.