Board of Regents

Board of Regents President Michael Spector presided over the board’s meeting Friday when regents recognized this year’s system-wide Diversity Award winners.

Regents recognize diversity across system

The Board of Regents recognized three programs across system campuses for their contributions to furthering the UW System’s efforts to promote diversity, equity and inclusivity Friday. UW-Madison was not an award recipient.

Irma Burgos, UW-Oshkosh’s director of the Center for Academic Support and Diversity won the individual category. The UW-Eau Claire Honors Program won the team category and UW-Green Bay’s First Nation Studies Program won the institution/unit category.

“It was very difficult to select the winners,” Regent Judy Crain said. “How rewarding it was to see up close all of the exceptional work on diversity and inclusion that is being done all around the UW system, work that leads to progress for us all in this very important area.”

The new School of Nursing Building will be named after UW-Madison Alum and Nursing Hall of Famer Signe Cooper, upon the Board of Regents’ approval Friday.

“We are deeply honored to name the new School of Nursing building Signe Skott Cooper Hall,” School of Nursing Dean

Katharyn May said in a press release. “Signe is one of the school’s most ardent and dedicated supporters, and her long career in Wisconsin nursing education embodies the essence of Wisconsin nursing and the Wisconsin Idea.”

Cooper was hired as a head nurse at the University of Wisconsin Hospital in 1946 and became an instructor in the School of Nursing in 1948. She has written and published two nursing textbooks and over 100 biographies of nurses.

Breaking ground for the building is scheduled for April 21 and construction is slated to be completed in 2014.