Police arrest three men for drug use

Madison Police arrested three Madison men for drug-related crimes in the past week, two of which occurred in student neighborhoods on Mifflin Street and Washington Avenue.

During a general surveillance patrol on Feb. 3, officers noticed a man, later identified as Bret Thompson, loitering in the 400 block of West Mifflin, according to Police Officer Howard Payne.

Thompson approached Edward Bartlett’s vehicle, prompting police to investigate a possible drug deal. Upon investigation, police found nine grams of crack cocaine and more than $4,600.

Police arrested Bartlett for drug-related charges and Thompson for unlawful trespassing.

According to Payne, police arrested Matthew Lecher with possession of heroin and cocaine on Dahle Street last Wednesday.

Last Thursday, police arrested Robert Tremelling for possession of drugs and operating a vehicle under the influence of drugs.

After hearing an “extremely loud stereo,” police pulled over a vehicle on the 500 block of West Washington Avenue and noted a strong marijuana smell, according to Payne.

Tremelling admitted to driving without a driver’s license and said he and the passenger, identified as Rachel Hansen, “had smoked all of their drugs just five minutes earlier.”

Police K-9s verified the presence of marijuana, and officers arrested Tremelling, which was his fifth offense after being on probation.