Atlas Smirked

GOP values come from the wrong places

The twisty race for the Republican presidential nomination now finds itself with former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum in the lead, ready to take the fight to President Barack Obama. He recently launched into a tirade against Obama, chiding the president's policies protecting the environment as based on a theology that has nothing to do with the Bible. Apart from being interpreted as an attack on Obama's faith by the media, it also makes one ponder what Santorum bases his opinions.

The modern brand of ultra- conservatism, represented by leaders such as Santorum, Rep. Michele Bachmann, R-Minn., Gov. Rick Perry, R-Texas, and former Rep. Newt Gingrich, R-Ga., gets its fuel from sources that can hardly be called scientific. Apart from theological texts, these Tea Party favorites base their social viewpoints on fictitious works such as Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged," which is the epitome of her objectivist philosophy.

Social welfare and universal health care are decried as part of a socialist agenda based on their inferences from these conservative handbooks. In attempting to tarnish the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, which they call "Obamacare," these conservative leaders have often ventured into racial politics. This necessitated an open letter from Catholic bishops nationwide requesting fellow Catholics Santorum and Gingrich to refrain from perpetuating "ugly, racial stereotypes on the campaign trail."

As the GOP threatens to lead the United States into the second decade of this century, the American electorate has to seriously consider the implications of electing the likes of Santorum as president. The latest Tea Party offerings have shown scant regard for established scientific facts, especially if they do not agree with the ultra-conservative worldview. They perpetually dwell in a fantasy world where life is preordained and men possess divine rights to use the world as they please without any repercussions. Entrusting any of these candidates with the role of leading America in 2012 will be akin to opening a portal that leads right back into the Dark Ages, where everyday life was centered around mystery, superstition and divine rights.

Anurag Mandalika is a graduate student in the Department of Biological Sytems Engineering. Please send all feedback to opinion@dailycardinal.com.