City approves ordinance providing equal benefits to employees in domestic partnerships

The Board of Public Works approved an ordinance requiring employers receiving city contracts to provide equal benefits to employees in domestic partnerships at a public meeting Wednesday.

Madison does not presently require employers to provide equal benefits to married couples and individuals in domestic partnerships.

A similar ordinance has been in effect in Dane County since 2008.

“We aren’t treading new ground,” Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said. “The fact of the matter is that similar ordinances are on the books in dozens of communities across the United States.”

The ordinance would not extend to current collective bargaining agreements, but full benefit extensions would be a required component in future agreements.

Non-union employers receiving city contracts would also be required to extend equal benefits to their employees. 

“I think the public policy behind this and why it has been done all over the country…is frankly that…you receive better services as a community if the employees of those contractors are treated fairly and equitably,” Verveer said.

The board also voted to approve several downtown construction projects aimed at improving sidewalks, both safety-wise and aesthetically.

The projects will add additional trees and State Street-style lighting to West Gorham Street between State and Broom Streets; North Henry Street between Gorham and State Streets; and North Francis Street between University and State Street and Langdon and State Street

Members of the board hope the project will improve Madison’s pedestrian experience.

In addition to the surface improvements, Francis Street between Langdon and State Street will receive new water mains.

North Henry Street will be completely reconstructed to replace aging utilities, many of which date back to the 1930s. 

North Henry Street will also be narrowed to accommodate widened sidewalks.   

“This area is very narrow for pedestrian walking. There are actually tree grates in what we would consider the sidewalk. Also with angled parking, cars can actually park over the terrace,” city engineer Eric Dundee said.

City engineers anticipate construction to begin this summer.