tommy

Thompson to run for Senate

After months of dropping hints and generating speculation, former Gov. Tommy Thompson officially announced his candidacy for U.S. Senate Thursday night.

Standing at a podium inside Waukesha’s Weldall Manufacturing Corporation, Thompson opened his remarks by telling his crowd of supporters, “America is in deep trouble.”

“The stakes in this election are enormous—not only for our state but for the entire country,” Thompson said. “And Wisconsin will be the center of the political universe.”

One of three Republicans competing for the seat which retiring U.S. Sen. Herb Kohl, D-Wis., will vacate, Thompson enters the race in a state still divided by last spring’s collective bargaining dispute and on the verge of a bitter recall battle.

Thompson highlighted campaign goals including a pledge to repeal “ObamaCare,” balance the federal budget, end the “raids” on Social Security and to “responsibly use” American oil, rather than sending “precious dollars overseas.”

Thompson also expressed desire to open Northern Wisconsin to mining.

Thompson will compete in this spring’s primary alongside Assembly Speaker Jeff Fitzgerald, R-Horicon, and former U.S. Rep. Mark Neumann, running against main Democratic challenger and current U.S. Rep. Tammy Baldwin, D-Wis.

“No matter who survives the GOP primary, the people of Wisconsin will have a clear choice in the race for U.S. Senate: Tammy Baldwin’s unwavering commitment to Wisconsin’s middle class families, or an extreme Republican kowtowing to corporate special interests and Tea Party radicals,” Baldwin Deputy Campaign Manager Phil Walzak said in an e-mail.

While Fitzgerald “welcomed” Thompson to the race, Neumann campaign spokesperson Chip Englander touted his candidate’s strong conservative credentials compared to the relatively moderate Thompson.

“We’ll let Tommy speak for himself, but we’re focused on the fact that we’re the most conservative candidate in the race,” Englander said.

While his primary challengers kept things cordial, national Tea Party organization “Club for Growth” launched the latest in a recent series of attacks against Thompson’s record Thursday.

In his speech, Thompson said he expected “mudslinging” from his opponents.

“Sadly, the lies and distortions have already started,” he said. “But that’s not the Wisconsin way. And it’s certainly not my way.”

UW-Madison College Republicans Chair Johnny Koremenos was in Waukesha to introduce Thompson, revving up the crowd with a speech and chants of “Tommy! Tommy!”

Koremenos gave Thompson his personal endorsement and plans to continue work on the former governor’s U.S. Senate campaign, summarizing Thompson’s competitive edge: “Experience,” he said. “One word describes it all.”