St. Paul's student center plans scaled down

St. Paul's student center proposed new plans for a 6-story building instead of the originally planned 14-stories.

After an eight-month break, Randy Milbrath, main architect for the planned St. Paul's Catholic Center, presented a new scaled-down plan to the Urban Design Commission.

While the original plan included space for student rental housing, that has been dropped in the revised design.

The new plan proposes a six-story building that will provide space for a chapel, offices, living quarters for priests, an educational facility and a student center.

These plans were deferred Wednesday to allow more time for architectural plan revisions.

Many Council members were pleased with the smaller design.

"I am very glad to see how the conversations have evolved regarding this project," Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, said. "The massing and height of the structure has come down substantially since the original concept."

Council members opposed to the plans expressed concern with the structural design of the building.

"Typically, church buildings like this have large lower halves that support the vertical rise of the building," Melissa Huggins, design professional, said. "But the front of this building doesn't support much of anything."

The commission chose to defer the decision regarding the initial approval of this plan, so that architects will consider the changes they discussed regarding the architectural design.

New housing proposed

Proposed plans for new apartment complexes were also presented Wednesday.

A proposed 8-story complex at 1323 W. Dayton St., near Union South and Camp Randall, would house 73 units.

Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, thinks the apartment complex will be a positive addition.

A second complex consisting of two separate apartment buildings was proposed by landowners Scott Faust and Ron Fedler for the block of Bassett, Johnson and Dayton Street, which is on the same block as the Double Tree Hotel.

The first 12-story building would have underground parking on W. Johnson Street, while the second U-shaped 3-story structure would be located on Dayton Street.

The commission will discuss the proposals at a later date.