ASM

ASM postponed the vice chair election to determine if Rep. Nneka Akubeze is eligible for the position.

ASM elects two new committee chairs, tables vice chair election

While the Associated Students of Madison elected chairs to its Nominations Board and Rules Committee Wednesday, the council tabled a decision on whom to elect to the vice chair position until next week.

Running for the Associated Students of Madison vice chair position were ASM Reps. Tom Templeton and Nneka Akubeze.

Templeton said his experience serving as vice chair two sessions ago would allow him to “hit the ground running” in the position.

“I can start with really no learning curve in a job that has a steep learning curve to help restore the image of ASM,” Templeton said.

Akubeze said she is qualified because she is experienced in reaching out to student groups and individual students.

“I’m someone who helps by nature; I’m someone who is able to coordinate and build bridges, and that’s something I think is essential for the vice chairship,” Akubeze said.

Midway through the question-and-answer session with the candidates, Student Services Finance Committee Chair Sarah Neibart informed ASM Chair Allie Gardner that Akubeze could be ineligible for the position because under state law, student government leaders must be enrolled in at least six credits at the university. Currently, Akubeze is enrolled in four.

Student council postponed the vote on vice chair to analyze the law and determine if Akubeze is eligible.

Also at the meeting, student council elected Rep. Zach DeQuattro Nominations Board chair and Rep. Tia Nowack Rules Committee chair.

DeQuattro, who has been serving as interim Nominations Board chair while the seat was vacant, said his experience would help him run the committee effectively.

Nowack also said her experience with Rules Committee qualified her to lead the committee and said she plans to motivate the committee to accomplish more than it has previously.

Gardner also announced she plans to appoint ASM intern David Gardner to the chief of staff position.

Allie Gardner said she thinks David Gardner will make a good chief of staff because he is a “hard worker and motivated.”