Scott Walker recall efforts

Gov. Scott Walker

Scott Walker recall underway: Democrats critical of petition filed by Republican donor

An unlikely source initiated the first petition to recall Republican Gov. Scott Walker on Friday, a week and a half earlier than the start of the recall anticipated by Democrats.

With a history of donating to Walker and the Republican Party, David Brandt of Muskego filed paperwork Nov. 4 on behalf of the “Close Friends to Recall Walker” committee. In the words of the paperwork, Brandt registered the committee to “fulfill [his] friend’s last request,” according to Channel3000.com.

The Democratic Party of Wisconsin denounced Brandt’s action as a trick meant to open the door to Walker, who, if the petition is successful, is legally permitted to raise unlimited funds to campaign against his recall.

Mike Tate, chair of the DPW, released a statement Friday announcing his belief that despite “under-handed and even downright criminal dirty tricks”, the recall will still take place.

“No matter how dirty the Republicans play or how much outside cash the Koch Brothers spend on false and misleading ads, the people of Wisconsin … will have their day, and they will recall Scott Walker,” Tate said.

According to Nicole Larson, spokeswoman for the Republican Party of Wisconsin, the “rumors being circulated by the Democrats are completely false.”  Other state Republicans, including RPW Executive Director Stephan Thompson, have expressed they do not know Brandt, saying the GOP was not involved in the Nov. 4 filing.

A single organization must gather 540,000 petition signatures within 60 days of the start of a recall petition to force a recall election. If different petitions are sponsored by different organizations, voters can sign multiple petitions.

United Wisconsin and the DPW have long planned initiating the recall effort on Nov. 15.  These organizations plan on beginning what they call the “real” recall effort next Tuesday.

“It is important for the supporters of the real effort to remove Walker from office remain focused and not sign any recall petition until November 15,” United Wisconsin said on its website.