PAVE Column: On gameday, stay classy Madison

The scandal exposed at Penn State University earlier this month is nothing short of devastating. Weeks after its initial surfacing, it is still a highly discussed issue on campus, especially with this Saturday’s upcoming matchup.

When the Nittany Lions come to Madison this weekend, emotions are sure to run high. Per usual, we want to win, but we’re also playing a team recently led by some detestable people, a reality that stirs up strong emotions in most.  

Around campus, I’ve heard students joke about chanting “Pedo State” come gameday. Others have discussed switching out the “asshole” chant with “rapist.” One student even proposed shouting, “You rape little boys! You rape little boys!”

This is a great university filled with countless brilliant minds. We know better than to shout insensitive nonsense like this. When Penn State students rioted in the streets of State College, the rest of the country looked upon them with disgust and disbelief. That these people thought a man’s tarnished football career was a bigger injustice than the abuses committed against innocent children is ludicrous, and Nittany Lions fans proved themselves to be the same.

Should we be angry? Absolutely—both as members of the Big Ten and as human beings. But we need to channel that anger into something proactive, not petty. If you feel so inclined, wear teal—the color of sexual assault awareness—to Saturday’s game. Donate money or get involved with foundations working to end child abuse. Forever think of Jerry Sandusky, Joe Paterno and the many others involved in the scandal as the cowards they are, but please do not stoop to PSU fans’ level.

It’s no secret that Badger fans can be vulgar. Students in particular have come under fire this semester for the “ES-FU” chant. In my opinion, that tradition is nothing compared to how students have threatened to behave come Saturday. The heinous suggestions I’ve heard people make in the last couple of weeks are immature, inappropriate and will lead to the same kind of condemnation Penn State fans earned themselves.

Be classy, Badgers. We are the better football team. Let’s be the better fanbase, too.

Promoting Awareness, Victim Empowerment (PAVE) is a student organization dedicated to ending sexual assault, dating/domestic violence and stalking on the UW-Madison campus through education and activism. Please send all feedback to uwpavemedia@gmail.com.