Men's basketball: Wisconsin lands prized recruit Sam Dekker

Excitement is already high with the 2011-'12 Wisconsin men’s basketball season just a few short days away. Looking further ahead, anticipation is building for next season with the Badgers’ signing of the 6 foot 8 inch Sheboygan forward Sam Dekker whom the Badgers signed Wednesday.

Dekker, ranked 18th in the nation by Rivals.com, heads into his senior year at Lutheran High School as a McDonald’s High School All-American candidate, the result of a junior-year season in which he averaged 28.8 points, 10.4 rebounds and four assists per game en route to being named as an AP second-team All-State selection.

What is unique about Dekker is that he possesses both the skill set of a five-star recruit and the makeup of a true Wisconsin basketball player.

“We’re obviously very excited to have Sam join our program,” head coach Bo Ryan said. “Sam possesses all of the first-class intangibles that you want in someone representing your program on the court, in the classroom and in the community.”

Signing Dekker answers one of the burning questions lingering around both the football and men’s basketball programs at UW. With such an emphasis on character in the recruiting process, can the Badgers bring in the big names with the big talent?

With Dekker now officially on board, it appears that the answer is "yes". Dekker’s signing also maintains the Badgers’ prowess on the in-state recruiting trail, something both Ryan and UW head football coach Bret Bielema have emphasized time in and time out.

“Given the fact that he could have gone just about anywhere he wanted, but decided that he wanted to pursue his dream of being a Wisconsin Badger,” Ryan added, “it is extremely special and a testament to what the players here before him have accomplished.”

Dekker provides Wisconsin with a chance to start next season with a legitimate shot at competing on the national stage. While this season’s squad is highlighted by a senior in guard Jordan Taylor, the majority of the contributors on the roster will likely return, giving Wisconsin a team that will start next season with both fresh talent, and a a plethora of experience.

Most importantly is the fact that Dekker is a perfect fit for Ryan’s system. His size and athleticism allow Dekker to play virtually any position on the court, and his shooting ability makes him a viable threat both on the outside and the interior.

“He will be a great fit within our system…” Ryan said. “He can handle the ball like a guard with excellent court vision and passing ability and a perimeter shooting game that has rapidly improved.”

Although the anticipation of Dekker’s arrival is high, Ryan and the staff are quick to note that this is simply step one of the process.

“Badger fans should be excited to watch Sam grow and develop during his career in Madison,” Ryan said. “I know he’s ready to have a great senior year at Lutheran and then will be ready to take the next step here with his future team.

UWBadgers.com contributed to this report