Wisconsin drops first Big Ten game in aggressive battle at the McClimon Complex

Alexandra Heller: Sophomore defender Alexandra Heller ends up on the ground after a battle with an opponent Sunday afternoon.

The UW-Madison women's soccer (2-1-1 Big Ten, 7-4-1 overall) team suffered their first Big Ten loss of the year at the hands of Ohio State (2-0-1, 8-3-1), in a defensive battle at the McClimon Soccer Complex. The loss ends the Badgers' four-game winning streak while the Buckeyes are the third opponent to shut out the Badgers offense.

Ohio State was aggressive early and often outshot the Badgers 7-2 in the first half and owned a 13-9 advantage for the game and it paid off in the 47th minute. Senior defender Liz Sullivan sent a corner kick into the box where it was headed by sophomore  midfielder Kristen Niederhaus to junior forward Tiffany Cameron for her team-leading fifth goal of the year and the eventual game-winner.

""[The goal allowed] was just a breakdown in focus,"" senior defender Meghan Flannery said. ""We need to make sure we are always tight on our marks, and on that one we just lost focus so it was just unlucky.""

Throughout the second half, the Badgers' offense was on the attack, holding a 7-6 shot advantage, but it couldn't take advantage of the several scoring opportunities. Senior forward Laurie Nosbusch led offensive charge with three shots on  goal.

""I think we were a little unlucky and a little unfocused when we did have our chances,"" Nosbusch said. ""I know I had a few that I'm going to look back and regret probably because I wasn't 100 percent focused in taking them.""

Senior goalkeeper Michele Dalton finished the game with three saves as did Ohio State's goalkeepe Katie Baumgardner.

In the last three contests, the Badgers haven't registered a victory and settled for two ties and a loss.

""We need to be more consistent. We have the talent to do it,"" head coach Paula Wilkins said. ""[The coaching stuff] needs to challenge them to be consistent.""  

""It's going to be challenging going into Nebraska, but we're going to sit down and refocus and get ready for that.""

The Badgers are back in action next Friday as they travel to Lincoln to take on Big Ten newcomer, Nebraska.