Student leader urges UW fans involved in attack to come forward

asmssfc: While ASM Rep. Tito Diaz said more checks need to be put on SSFC, SSFC Chair Sarah Neibart said increased oversight would undermine the committee.

At a student government meeting Monday, Rep. Karen Scott proposed legislation to urge individuals who violently attacked a Nebraska fan on Saturday to turn themselves in.  

According to the legislation, after Saturday's football game three men dressed in Badger gear kicked a Nebraska fan ""repeatedly in the head until he lost consciousness and bled from the nose, mouth, and ears.""

Scott said while she would not recommend similar legislation for every act of violence on campus, she thought the proposal was appropriate since the cause for the attack was based solely on rivalry.  

""I think that since the only visible reason for the attack was because the victim was wearing a Nebraska Husker shirt and the attackers were wearing Badger shirts that it's important to distance ourselves from the violence and to say that it's unacceptable behavior,"" Scott said.

Council will vote on the legislation next Wednesday.

Also at the meeting, past and present student leaders debated legislation that would put a check on a branch of student government Wednesday.  

Student Services Finance Committee Rep. David Vines spoke in favor of legislation to create a new committee that would approve ""pertinent legislation,"" forms and applications that SSFC proposes before the SSFC is allowed to enact them.

""We've been getting a little bit in the habit of giving ourselves more power and not really checking that, and sometimes doing that in slightly illegal ways,"" Vines said.

SSFC Chair Sarah Neibart was against the proposal, saying the Student Judiciary already serves as a check to SSFC's power.

""I think it is a power grab from student council on SSFC, and I think it's going against our constitution,"" Neibart said.  

Former SSFC Chair Matt Manes said more oversight is not necessary for SSFC.

""I'm really speaking against this bill,"" Manes said. ""It's really ridiculous to think SSFC needs chaperoning.""

Student council will vote on the legislation next Wednesday.

Updated Oct. 6: The headline for this article has been updated to reflect the fact that, while the people who took part in the attack were Wisconsin fans, they have not been identified as UW students. The Cardinal regrets the error.