College hockey's best set to clash in Border Battle

Brianna Decker: The Wisconsin-Minnesota rivalry is the biggest in the nation, increasing the importance of this series for both teams.

When it comes to rivalries, there are none bigger than this. Playing this weekend are two teams, two schools that just do not like each other. The No. 1 Wisconsin Badgers (2-0-0 WCHA, 4-0-0 overall) host the No. 3 Minnesota Gophers (2-0-0, 4-0-0) in a Friday-Sunday series at the Kohl Center.

In what is sure to be a thrilling weekend of hockey, two undefeated teams enter a matchup that is seemingly even on paper.

""We're excited,"" junior forward Brianna Decker said. ""It's the biggest rivalry of the year.""

The Border Battle is always a highly anticipated series among players.

""The Gophers are always a good series,"" sophomore defender Kelly Jaminski said. ""We've worked hard all week and we're all just anxious and ready to go tomorrow night.""

For the Badgers, this will not be the first time they face a difficult task in this young season. Wisconsin is coming off a sweep of then No. 6 North Dakota. In that series, North Dakota's physical play and strong offense gave the Badgers all they could handle.

""We got tested last weekend,"" head coach Mark Johnson said. ""They have worked hard, they've had success, they've had some adversity early on here and they've battled through that.""

The Badgers, as well as the Gophers, boost high-powered offenses that can be described as goal-scoring machines.  However, the strength of these squads not only comes from their offense, but also from their ability to prevent opponents from putting the puck into the back of the net.

Wisconsin has outscored their opponents this season 32-4 (though the Badgers put up 24 against Lindenwood alone), while the Gophers have outscored their opposition 24-1 (they've yet to play a team with a winning record last season).

With these two teams being so evenly matched, and given their history of close and physical games, it comes down to which team works the hardest and gets to the puck first on both offense and defense.  

""Whoever works the hardest this weekend,"" Jaminski said. ""Whoever brings it to the table is going to be the one who wins.""

If it really does come down to who works the hardest, Johnson is confident that his team will be prepared, even with his younger players. This confidence comes from preparation, and he believes that his team always prepares well for each opponent they face.

""It's how they prepare,"" Johnson said. ""When they drop the puck in a game situation we should be confident that we can play. And that's where we're at.""

""It's going to come down to execution and special teams,"" Johnson said.