Badgers aim to stay atop Big Ten standings with win

AJ Cochran: Wisconsin?s defense has been solid up to this point in the season. AJ Cochran has played a key role on the Badgers? back line.

The UW men's soccer team  (1-0-0 Big Ten, 5-4-2 overall) will face the Michigan Wolverines (1-1-0, 3-8-1) on Sunday at 2:00 p.m. ET in Ann Arbor this coming Sunday. While this might not be the Badger's hardest test of the year, it definitely will not be the easiest.

The Wolverines, while sporting a meager record of 3-8-1, have played every game close, literally. The Maize and Blue have lost by just 1 goal in their last 7 losses. The Wolverines could easily have many of these games going their way with just a little better shot accuracy. Michigan has shot the ball 187 times this year, but have scored only 16 times on those opportunities, for a measly 8.6 percent.

These Wolverines are not, however, without a big win. They beat the currently 19th-ranked team in the country when they took down Penn State away from home. In addition, the Wolverines lost in a close one to the same Marquette team that the Badgers took into double overtime, only to draw with them.

The Badgers should win this game. In fact, it would be a shock if this Wisconsin team did not do a number on its counterpart from across the lake. Wisconsin matches up extremely well with Michigan. The Badgers have held opponents to fewer than 10 percent shooting and play very well and composed on the defensive end. Michigan has given up a total of 20 goals this season, which is a lot for 12 games in.

Wisconsin should capitalize on the poor defense played by Michigan and the fact that they will be playing a smaller Wolverine team. The Badgers sport a bigger lineup, anchored on the defensive end by 6'3"" freshman  defender AJ Cochran, 6'2"" sophomore forward Nick Janus and 6'3"" junior midfielder Tomislav Zadro.

There is really just one player that the Badgers will have to keep an eye on. Fabio Pereira, the star sophomore midfielder for the Wolverines, has taken 45 shots this year, 22 more than the next most on Michigan's roster.

Look for the Badgers to come out fired up and ready to play after a tough loss to No. 5 Creighton on Wednesday. Playing with a chip on their shoulder is dangerous and head coach John Trask will have to have this team ready to go. Don't count the Wolverines out, but look for the Badgers to return from this weekend trip victorious.