Wisconsin's condfidence high heading into tough stretch

Thiermann: New talent has meshed with veteran leaders such as Josh Thiermann for the men?s soccer team and that has the team off to a solid start this season.

For many onlookers the UW men's soccer program the success of this season's 4-3-1 start has been relatively surprising considering the how last year's team faired.

However, within the program few find themselves shocked by the quality results the team has managed to achieve so far in the early part of the season.

The Badgers have posted quality wins against Virginia Tech, Drake and Loyola Marymount, with the most impressive result being a 1-0 defeat of the Hokies on the road in Blacksburg, Va.

""We are possessing the ball much better this year, on top of the improvement new players have brought with them in the program,"" Wisconsin head coach John Trask said.

The Badgers' new talent has not gone unnoticed, as College Soccer News rated the incoming recruiting class 18th in its Top 40 Recruiting Class list. Among the most noticeable of young talent on the team has been freshman defender A.J. Cochran. Prior to coming to Madison, Cochran was named Gatorade Player of Year in Missouri and was rated the No. 4 prospect in the Heartland Region by TopDrawerSoccer.com.

""A.J. is one of those players you hate to play against when you're the opposing team but love to have when he is on your team,"" Trask said. ""He brings a certain physicality and toughness to the team.""

Trask also noted that leadership from senior captains Colin Mani, Arnel Zahirovic and transfer Josh Thiermann have paid dividends for the team.

""Colin, Arnel and Josh have really done a great job for us this year,"" Trask said. ""They have really made a difference in how are team has played.""   

The Badgers will have to rely more on their leadership and confidence of youth as they head into undoubtedly their toughest stretch of the season. This week the team plays in state rival Marquette Wednesday and then opens up league play against No. 7 Indiana (5-0-2) Sunday. Following that game the team will take on No. 3 Creighton (6-0) Oct. 5.

A daunting gauntlet for sure, but Trask does not feel that the team is at all fazed by the difficulties ahead.

""Our kids are excited for the upcoming games ahead,"" Trask said. ""It's an opportunity to face some quality competition and show everyone what we can do.""

Even with these tough matchups ahead, they are only a handful of difficult contests on a remarkably tough schedule the team has already played.

The Badgers have already played west-coast powerhouse and No. 8 nationally ranked UC Irvine (7-1) as well as national power Virginia (5-4) which was rated top 10 nationally when the Badgers played them.

The tough non-conference slate has prepared the Badgers for a rugged Big Ten conference.

""This year the conference is down a little,"" Trask said. ""Last year we were by the far the top conference in that nation, while this year the Big Ten will be top three in the nation.""

If the men's soccer team has proven anything this year it has been that it can now compete with the top programs in the nation.