News in brief

Freon forces hall to evacuate

A Freon leak in the Vel Phillips Hall cooling system forced students to evacuate late Tuesday night.

Students were sent to the  nearby Natatorium until maintenance was able to fix the Freon leak around 2 a.m.

Contractor reveals plans for Judge Doyle Square

Contractors revealed plans to redevelop blocks 88 and 105 between downtown West Wilson and Doty Street. The new streetscape, named for former western Wisconsin judge and Democratic Party leader James P. Doyle, will include underground parking on both blocks, connected under Pinckney Street. The streetscape aims to better connect the Capitol Square and John Nolen Drive. The redevelopment may also include a hotel, bicycle center, retail space, restaurants, office and housing.

Veterinary School dean retires

Dean of UW-Madison's School of Veterinary Medicine Daryl Buss announced Wednesday plans to retire from his position. Buss is the second dean in the School of Veterinary Medicine's history. Buss was appointed as dean by Chancellor David Ward in 1994.

Dane Co. Treasurer joins race for Baldwin seat

Dane County Treasurer Dave Worzala announced plans to run for U.S. Rep. Tammy Baldwin's empty District 2 Congressional Seat Wednesday. Worzala says his experience with government and finance sets him apart against fellow challengers state Rep. Mark Pocan, D-Madison, and Sen. Kelda Helen Roys, D-Madison.

Men's Health ranks Madison best-educated city in U.S.

In a widely-publicized list, Men's Health Magazine rated Madison as the United States' best-educated city, beating out fellow front-runners Palo, Tex., and Raleigh, N.C. In the magazine's words, ""the average [Madison] household has more degrees than a thermometer,"" unlike Miami, Fla., Cleveland, Ohio, and Las Vegas, Nev., who ranked at the bottom of the list.