Buckeyes, Spartans searching for momentum

The start of October signals the beginning of widespread conference play in college football. It has been the month that separates the championship contenders from the pretenders.

In recent years, the Badgers' undefeated hopes ended with difficult October road games. This year, the Wisconsin schedule is no different, with primetime road games at Michigan State and Ohio State later this month. Those teams have had disappointing 3-1 starts this year, but both are looking to get their respective seasons back on track as they face off in Columbus this weekend. Normally that would be a headlining Big Ten game, but this weekend most of the Big Ten spotlight is shining on Nebraska's historic trip to Madison.

Alabama at Florida

Are the Florida Gators for real? We will definitively find out this weekend, as they host Alabama in Gainesville on Saturday. The Gators started the season ranked 22nd in the country, but have risen to 12th in the polls after four relatively easy victories, two of them coming against conference opponents. Third-ranked Alabama will pose the first significant challenge for first-year Florida head coach Will Muschamp's team.

The Crimson Tide are fresh off of a well-rounded victory over Arkansas at home last week. Alabama racked up 200 passing yards and 197 rushing yards against the Razorbacks, and also burned them with a punt return for a touchdown and an interception return for a touchdown.

Florida has enjoyed most of its success offensively this year with the running game, but they will need a great throwing performance from quarterback John Brantley to move the ball on the staunch Crimson Tide defense. The special teams battle will also be crucial to determining the outcome of the game.

The atmosphere at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium will be similar to the one at Camp Randall for the Ohio State game last year, as the Gator faithful hope their team can slay the national championship hopes of an SEC favorite. Florida has a nearly impossible road game at top-ranked LSU next week, so a loss to Alabama could put their season in a prolonged tailspin.

Michigan State at Ohio State

This game lost much of its luster after both the Spartans and Buckeyes lost their first games two weeks ago. Ohio State fell to Miami, and Michigan State stumbled against Notre Dame. Regardless, this game is certainly of interest to the Badgers, as they will play both teams later in the month.

Ohio State is still missing three key players in wide receiver DeVier Posey, offensive tackle Mike Adams and running back Dan Herron. They all received a five-game suspension from the NCAA for selling football memorabilia, and the game against the Spartans is the fifth and final game of the suspension. With the absence of Posey, tight end Jake Stoneburner has picked up the slack with four receiving touchdowns this year.

The Buckeyes passing game has been atrocious so far. Quarterback Joe Bauserman has not been able to fill the shoes of the departed Terrelle Pryor, so redshirt freshman quarterback Braxton Miller will get the start against the Spartans. Miller completed only five passes in last week's victory over Colorado, though two of them were for touchdowns.

In Michigan State's loss to Notre Dame, the Spartans were limited to 29 rushing yards on 23 carries. Between Michigan State's underperforming running game and Ohio State's uncertain passing attack, it could be an ugly game to watch in Columbus.

Clemson at Virginia Tech

The two highest ranked ACC teams meet in Blacksburg, Va., for a game that will be Clemson's first test away from Death Valley. The Tigers are undefeated after taking down ranked teams in consecutive weeks. Last week they defeated Florida State 35-30, and the week before they took down Auburn 38-24. The Clemson offense has excelled thanks to sophomore quarterback Tajh Boyd, who has thrown 13 touchdowns and only one interception this season.

No team has been able to crack the Virginia Tech defense yet this season. The Hokies have given up an average of only 10 points a game, and no more than 13 in any single game. Clemson's offense will be the toughest offense Virginia Tech has faced so far; likewise, Virginia Tech's defense will be the toughest the Tigers have faced so far.

Clemson is off to its best start in four years. The last time the Tigers won a road game against a ranked opponent was a 40-37 overtime victory over Miami in 2009. Virginia Tech hasn't lost at home since the James Madison debacle last season. For Clemson to return to a prominent position in the college football landscape, this is the type of game they must win.