UW athletics are a big part of what it means to be a Badger

NCAA champs: Badgers fans had a memorable year in 2010-?11, including wins over No. 1 ranked Ohio State teams in both football and basketball.

I know that all of you chose Wisconsin because of its superior academic reputation, the immense opportunity for intellectual advancement, and the networking opportunities that will prove handy come graduation time. But lets be honest: it doesn't hurt that we beat Ohio State twice last year.

Wisconsin's academics might have brought you here, but I guarantee that Badger athletics will be a memorable part of your college experience. I doubt you will remember working long hours at College library to finish a history paper, but twenty five years from now, the memories of beating Nebraska in their first Big Ten game, of watching Badger basketball upset North Carolina in Chapel Hill, will be crystal clear.

It wasn't always this great to be a Badger fan. Wisconsin football was the laughingstock of the Big Ten for a while prior to the arrival of Barry Alvarez and Wisconsin basketball didn't play in a single NCAA Tournament game between 1947 and 1994.

Since Alvarez set foot in Madison, the Badgers have been a perennial contender for the Big Ten title, winning four conference titles, three Rose Bowl games, and reaching bowl games in 16 of the past 18 seasons. Prior to then, the Badgers had only played in 6 bowl games, with the previous conference title coming all the way back in 1962.

Men's basketball has also transformed itself from joke to contender. While Bo Ryan's program has never had much hype, the results speak for themselves. Since Ryan took over in 2001, the Badgers have reached the NCAA Tournament in every season, never finishing lower than 4th in the competitive Big Ten race. If there is such a thing as a guarantee in the world of sports, its that Wisconsin will be hitting the road come tournament time in March.

The sport Wisconsin has never gone without is hockey. Between the 2011 National Championship Women's team (with a new arena on the way) and the 2006 National champion (and 2010 National runner-up) Men, Wisconsin hockey sits on pretty firm ground and has since the days of Bob Johnson back in the 1970s and 1980s. Combined, Wisconsin hockey programs have won 10 national championships, 15 WCHA Final Five titles, and 6 WCHA regular season crowns. Between the on-ice success and the off-ice experience, I guarantee you will find yourself at the Kohl Center (and/or La Bahn Arena) on many an occasion.

So while Wisconsin may not have a baseball team (for now…and yes, probably ever), there is plenty available for the sports fan in Madison, at least from August through March. But besides the sports that get coverage, Wisconsin has national title-winning programs in both men's and women's rowing, cross country, and indoor track and field.

Yes, you told your parents you came here to study biology, but with all of this winning to go around, you know you came here for Badger athletics too.

On, Wisconsin!