City Plan Commission fast-tracks construction projects

city planning : The Plan Commission met in Monday and unanimously approved a construction project at Logan?s Madtown.

The City of Madison Plan Commission unanimously approved the allocation of conditional use permits Monday to allow for expansion and renovation projects to take place at the Central Library and the downtown bar and grill, Logan's.

Under Madison zoning laws, construction projects need to request land use approval from municipal authorities beforehand.

The Central Library, located at 201 W. Mifflin Street, will undergo renovation and expansion that will add a partial floor to the 46 year-old site, along with an additional entrance. The hub of Madison's public library system will also receive other internal and external modifications, all at cost to the city of Madison.

""The most controversial aspect of the library has been the cost and whether or not the city can afford the rehab,"" said Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, whose district includes both proposed construction sites.

Verveer noted the fact that the building's renovation has long been put off while smaller branches have undergone renovation projects due to less prohibitive costs.

Earlier this year, the Urban Design Commission approved the project's architectural proposal with near-unaniminity, indicating the general support the project enjoys despite financial worries.

""Its very seldom that you see the folks on this committee, which is mostly architects, give a project a perfect 10 score,"" Verveer said.

Construction is slated to begin in November and should take roughly two years, during which the library's collection will be available in a still-undecided temporary facility.

The construction approval gained by Logan's is for a decidedly shorter term project. The W. Johnson Street establishment is converting its parking lot into two beach volleyball courts for the summer, complete with a foot of sand.

""A lot of people have started talking about it and are really excited about it,"" general manager Adam Mais said.

""It gives kids something to do during the summer, another downtown activity.""

Logan's was also successful in extending its alcohol license to include the courts, in hopes of having the sanded area double as a dining spot when games are not being played.

""One of things we talked about … is possibly doing picnic dinners, giving people picnic baskets and letting people have dinner on the sand, maybe with a bottle of wine,"" he said.