Union Council opposes ASM shared governance proposal

asm: ASM representatives discussed a proposal to reform shared governance at the university at their meeting Wednesday.

Members of the Wisconsin Union Council said they objected to the proposed Shared Governance Reform Act at the Associated Students of Madison's meeting Wednesday.

The act states ASM will have the right to make decisions regarding student life, services and interests that faculty and staff discuss in a shared governance setting.

Union Council president Patrick Callan represented the organization, which is the governing body of the Wisconsin Union and answers to the UW System Board of Regents. He said the act would give ASM too much power.

""This bill removes the general student voice and puts it in the hands of ASM officials,"" Callan said.

Members of the Union Council said ASM should not be the only student group represented in the shared governance process.

Some ASM members disagreed, saying since every UW-Madison student is technically a member of ASM, it is the most logical group to represent students in shared governance.

Also at the meeting, Student Services Finance Committee Chair Matt Manes re-introduced the controversial Campus Services Fund.

Manes said he removed any mention of student organizations in the proposal since student groups thought the CSF would interfere with grassroots organizing. He said the main purpose of the CSF is to provide students with essential services.

""ASM needs a mechanism, we need a process, by which we can propose, evaluate and implement services for the student body,"" Manes stated.

In other business, the student council postponed a decision on an act that would change the SSFC appeals process. The council removed lines from the proposed act that would dictate how the Student Judiciary would interpret bylaws.

Judiciary Chief Justice Kate Fifield said it would be inappropriate for ASM to order the group to behave in a certain way.

At the next meeting, student council will debate allowing SSFC to hear appeals based on incorrect factual findings or incorrect interpretations of bylaws.