Walker's budget would end mandate for local recycling

On top of heavy spending cuts, Gov. Scott Walker's biennial budget proposal would also eliminate the state recycling program requirement for local communities.

The proposal would cut financial assistance from the state to local governments for the programs that totaled $32 million in 2010-11. The funds that were used for recycling and renewable energy would instead go to the state's economic development fund.

State Rep. Brett Hulsey, D-Madison, said Walker's budget proposal ""guts Wisconsin's environmental and conservational tradition.""

Hulsey said Wisconsin, and Madison in particular, has one of the most successful recycling programs in the country.

According to Hulsey, Madison recycles more than 40 percent of its waste, which he said results in fewer landfills and less waste.

Calls for comment to Walker's office, the state Republican party and Assembly Republicans were not immediately returned Wednesday.

Hulsey said local governments are going to have to make tough choices on spending if they want to keep their recycling programs.

""We're going to have to make such painful decisions under this chain saw, backwards budget,"" Hulsey said.

The Sierra Club said in a statement it is also disappointed with the budget, saying it was ""dismayed"" and ""extremely disheartened"" with Walker's decisions on recycling. They said his proposals are ""radical plans to rollback support and policies that benefit our environment, save money, and create jobs.""

The state of Wisconsin has mandated recycling programs since 1995, and has funded them since 1990 with the passage of the Solid Waste Reduction, Recovery, and Recycling Law.  That law required Wisconsin residents and businesses to recycle banned materials and made sure citizens had access to a local recycling program.