Mayor, Dane Co. Exec candidates hold joint debate on local issues

Debate: Current Mayor Dave Cieslewicz. former Mayor Paul Soglin, state Rep. Joe Parisi, D-Madison, and Dane County Board Supervisor Eileen Bruskewitz held a debate at the Barrymore Theater to discuss their plans for immigration and dealing with Gov. Scott Walker.

While listening to candidates discuss fixing the economy, reducing racial disparities and protecting the environment, community members enjoyed beer in the lobby, a childcare service for parents and an interpreter for Spanish speakers.

""It's about making Madison better for everyone,"" former mayor Paul Soglin said. ""It's the concept that we not only have a vision, but how we get there is important, how we participate together.""

Current Mayor Dave Cieslewicz, Soglin and state Rep. Joe Parisi, D-Madison, took turns lambasting Gov. Scott Walker and discussing how they would handle the impending aid cuts and tax restrictions.

""When Governor Walker said that he would create 250,000 jobs, who knew that all of them would be at Ian's Pizza,"" Cieslewicz said. ""I think we've shown in the last eight years that you can progress but also be pro-economic development.""

Despite reminding the audience she was not Walker, Dane County Board Supervisor Eileen Bruskewitz faced repeated jeers for expressing support for the governor, and the moderator needed to step in so she could  continue speaking.

""I felt he was the only candidate that was going to face the economic and fiscal problems that this state faces,"" Bruskewitz said. ""He wasn't going to kick the can into the future.""

On the topic of racial disparities in the prison population, Parisi said it is ""completely unacceptable"" and promised he would use public services to prevent crime at its root.

""We need to make sure that people, when they're looking for a second chance, are able to get a house, are able to get job,"" Parisi said.

Discussing illegal immigration, Cieslewicz and Soglin said they would do everything they could to not cooperate with state deportation authorities, and promised to fight an Arizona-style law if Walker passes one.

""We will use every legal tool we have,"" Cieslewicz said. ""We will work with the Madison Police Department, which is excellent on these issues, to resist those kinds of draconian policies.""

Cieslewicz criticized Soglin for quitting his previous role as mayor early, which occurred 14 years ago. Soglin responded, saying he did so to gain support for his campaign for Congress.

Peng Her, one of the moderators, noted that Walker had been mentioned 27 times during the debate.

""I would like to thank Scott Walker for galvanizing the community and reminding us what democracy is,"" Her said.