Hopper accused of infidelity, living outside of district

In the possible lead-up to a recall election, State Sen. Randy Hopper, R-Fond du Lac, is being accused of living outside his district while carrying out an affair.

Hopper's wife, Alysia Hopper, sent a letter to TMJ4 in Milwaukee saying the senator started an affair with a then 25-year-old Republican aide, and has since been living outside of his district home, primarily in Madison.

Hopper's spokesperson Jeff Harvey told TMJ4 in a statement he and his wife are currently in the process of getting divorced, and that Hopper maintains an apartment in the district.

The situation is similar to last year, when former Assembly Speaker Mike Sheridan, D-Janesville, had a relationship with a lobbyist while he was getting divorced. Sheridan was voted out of office in the 2010 midterm elections.

The allegations come at a particularly bad time for Hopper, who was first elected in 2008. He, along with 15 other state senators, is facing recall efforts over his vote for Gov. Scott Walker's budget repair bill. Hopper could be in a vulnerable position, as he won his district with 50.5 percent of the vote.