Easy solution to GOP dishware complaints

Lydia Statz

While Gov. Scott Walker keeps Wisconsin progressives busy, Washington Republicans have pulled another fast one on the nation. They've repealed a four-year effort called ""Green the Capitol,"" all in the name of slashing budgets and, of course, asserting power over the Democrats.

Minority Leader, D-Calif., Nancy Pelosi started ""Green the Capitol"" in 2007. It is a plan to help reduce waste and energy usage in the Capitol and House office buildings by implementing recycling efforts, using biodegradable products and energy saving measures like eliminating fluorescent light bulbs. 

Under this plan, much of what had previously been thrown away was instead composted and reused as fertilizer for the Capitol grounds. Thermostats were adjusted to save energy and many food staples were replaced with locally grown organics, among other efforts. A 2010 report estimated the initiative would lead to a 23 percent reduction in total energy consumption, a 32 percent reduction in water consumption and a total annual savings of $3.3 million.

What could be so terrible about that? Apparently the GOP has found quite a few things to complain about. The biodegradable knives and forks broke when cutting into solid food, spoons melted in hot liquids, take-home containers leaked and, apparently, many lawmakers had to double up their coffee cups just to handle their hot beverages. These annoyances have been seconded by democratic legislators, and frankly, I'd be irritated too if lunch was a daily battle between a chicken patty and a handful of incompetent utensils. 

I'm all for supplying lawmakers with a stress-free eating experience, but House Speaker John Boehner's, R-Ohio, solution to the problem falls about three side dishes short of a value meal. GOP leadership has proudly announced a return to Styrofoam coffee cups and plastic cutlery, and is now busy boasting about having conquered Washington D.C. cafeterias as the final frontier.

I understand that silverware made of cornstarch can sometimes suck, but what I don't understand is why nobody is talking about the obvious solution. With hundreds of legislators, interns and aides eating at these cafeterias everyday, why hasn't anyone stood up and said, ""Hey, what 

if we used real plates and silverware?"" 

If we start treating politicians like the adults they claim to be and give them real dishes, glasses, mugs and stainless steel flatware, this entire debate would be settled. 

Democrats would be happy because, with a minor investment, reusable utensils dramatically cut down on waste, especially since Republicans don't want to cough up the change to truck waste to suburban Virginia. With an initial investment in decent tableware, a little extra money every year to replace broken plates and silverware thrown out by mistake, and a few more employees to keep up with the dishes, a more environmentally friendly program could be put in place. 

Since I'm already talking in radical hypotheticals, what if we go one step farther and give every member of Congress a reusable coffee mug? The rest of America has already jumped on the bandwagon, and most restaurants and coffee shops even offer a discount if you bring your own mug. 

Lawmakers could prevent waste from their double-cupping debacle and use a real mug to solve their problems instead of resorting to the infamously wasteful Styrofoam option. I bet the GOP would hop right on board if it could get its non-fat decaf mocha latte for $3.50 instead of $3.75. 

I'm certain our Capitol cafeterias used real flatware and dishes at some point in time, but why they stopped is anybody's guess. What's important is that we turn to a solution that will save our country money, conserve energy and, from a long-term solutions standpoint, contribute to a healthier environment. 

If thousands of UW-Madison freshmen are responsible enough to eat off breakable items, I'm positive our lawmakers can somehow manage this same feat. And while many of you may harbor a dozen Pop's bowls in your kitchen cabinets, we can at least hope that our legislators are a little more trustworthy.

Lydia Statz is a junior majoring in journalism and international studies. Please send all feedback to opinion@dailycardinal.com.