West Mifflin project continues to face heavy criticism

Capitol Neighborhood Inc. continued to debate the proposed West Mifflin Street apartment complex development at its meeting Thursday.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said he wants the entire building to be pushed to the north, toward another property owned by developer Pat McCaughey. Such a change would push the bulk of the building away from the sidewalk and help to maximize green space, Verveer said.

Verveer also said another major issue he has with the current design is the choice to have a four story building, and recommended a three or three-and-a-half story building.

Committee member Peggy LeMahieu said the project needs to enhance the neighborhood, and that there are a number of concerns from students and Madison residents alike.

""Because of the history [of the neighborhood] this deserves another really good look at it,"" LeMahieu said.

She said it is important the integrity of those two blocks of West Mifflin Street stay consistent from an architectural perspective. The building would not match the neighborhood's environment, according to LaMahieu.

Committee member Rick Broughman argued the structures on West Mifflin Street are ""barely existing."" A property McCaughey owns would be torn down, but Broughman said the area would gain many more in the new complex.

Mifflin West Neighborhood Steering Committee Chair Scott Kolar said the comments submitted at a Jan. 24 neighborhood meeting revolved around parking and the cost of rent, but mostly the change of character in the neighborhood.

According to Kolar, commenters said the building's size and height were wrong for the neighborhood.

McCaughey is looking to get final approval from Urban Design Commission Feb. 16, final approval from Plan Commission Feb. 21 and final approval from Common Council Feb. 22.

Verveer said although he would like to see his recommendations implemented into the design, he wants McCaughey to stay on schedule.