Men's hockey looking to get back on track against Minnesota

Zengerle: Freshman forward Mark Zengerle leads the Badgers this season with 29 assists.

Following last weekend's two game series at the University of Nebraska-Omaha, head coach Mike Eaves of the No.12 Wisconsin men's hockey team tried to scrape the positives from a pair of tough losses. Eaves was disappointed with the outcome of the contests but applauded the effort and energy his players put forth.

""We played hard enough to win, there was no issue there,"" said Eaves.

While Coach Eaves thought the team played hard enough physically, he attributed the disappointing outcomes to a problem with the team's confidence.

""The poise and confidence that we needed to play with was probably the difference in the series,"" he said.

However, despite the team's lack of confidence against the Mavericks, Eaves saw plenty of reason to remain positive going forward.

""We only gave up 10 scoring chances on Saturday and only 14 on Friday. We did some really good things,"" Eaves said. ""I think our power play finally got its legs underneath it but it was a little bit too late, and I don't think we got the big save we needed.""

Hoping to regain their confidence, the Badgers are looking at this weekend's home stand against the Minnesota Gophers as the perfect opportunity to accomplish this. After the Wall Street Journal deemed the Kohl Center was deemed the most intimidating arena in college hockey last weekend, Eaves was hesitant to say teams were intimidated by the Badger's home ice, but did stress the importance of playing back at home this weekend.

""I can only project what others might feel coming in there if they've never been here with the band and the students down in one end,"" Eaves said. ""I think one of two things can happen. You can get intimidated or you can just enjoy the hell out of the experience and play over your head.""

While Eaves is unsure whether or not intimidation will be a factor in this weekend's matchup against the Gophers, he is aware of the great atmosphere his team will see at home this weekend.

""This is going to be a great building to be in Friday and Saturday night,"" he said. ""It's going to be a lot of fun.""

In order to find success this weekend, the Badgers will rely upon improved production from both their power play as well as their younger players.

""Some of our younger kids didn't play to the level that we have seen them,"" Eaves said. ""You wish you could take freshmen and make them seniors in one season.""

But while Eaves recognizes the growing pains some of his younger players have struggled through, he sees improvement.

""They'll walk into the series this weekend, which will be a playoff type atmosphere, and they'll be better prepared for it,"" he said.

Among these improving younger players is freshman forward Mark Zengerle. While Zengerle continuously adapts to the speed of a new league, Eaves applauds the work that he puts in.

""The nice thing we've seen from Mark is his work ethic has continued to be well up there in terms of how we grade,"" he said.     

Zengerle will look to add to his four game scoring streak this weekend as the Badgers take on the Gophers in what Eaves called a ""playoff atmosphere.""

Eaves knows the Gophers are no easy matchup but is excited about the series.

""They're a very talented team and they have the potential. They just spanked Denver on Saturday night so they have some confidence