Verveer will not face criminal charges following investigation

The Wisconsin Department of Justice will not file any criminal charges against Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, following a 26-month investigation of allegations of improper conduct when he was a Dane County prosecutor.

The case was given to the state Supreme Court's Office of Lawyer Regulation Wednesday, according to a Department of Justice spokesperson.

The department is set to release 1,100 pages of records and an additional 500-700 pages of e-mail records Thursday, according to Assistant Attorney General Kevin Potter. These records were previously requested by the Wisconsin State Journal and other media.

In October 2008, former Dane County District Attorney Brian Blanchard began an investigation after a woman called the District's Attorney's office to report a complaint against Verveer. The woman said Verveer engaged in unprofessional behavior.

The allegations against Verveer suggested he tried to inappropriately intervene in the case of a then-19-year-old man who faced multiple charges of drunk driving. According to the complaint, Verveer offered to help him outside the courtroom.

The complaint also stated Verveer made phone calls to the man's then-21-year-old relative, who was also a defendant in the case, and once met him at a downtown bar.

Verveer previously denied all allegations against him, but did say he met the then-21-year-old relative, unplanned, outside a downtown bar while the case was ongoing. At the time, Verveer said he would not do anything to jeopardize the state's case.

Verveer has represented District 4 since 1995 and also served twice as Common Council president.