SSFC approves own budget without stipend increases

In its second meeting of the semester, the Student Services Finance Committee voted Thursday to approve its own budget without increasing stipends.

Additionally, the committee reworked its wage policy violation guidelines and discussed student fees for the proposed commencement speaker fund.

The SSFC approved its own budget at $177, 247.  Approval was delayed last semester over the possibility of increasing individual stipends, a move that was dismissed Thursday.

Currently, SSFC members receive a stipend of $20 per meeting. An increase was proposed to compensate members for late-night and extra meetings, but was subsequently dismissed due to a lack of such circumstances.

""I don't foresee us going back to the … days of meeting until one in the morning,"" Manes said. ""And so I don't feel that raising is warranted.""

The SSFC also changed its guidelines for wage policy violations because some student groups accidentally clocked too many hours several times and accrued multiple violations.

Under the current system, even an accidental violation merits an ""apology"" and deliberation by the SSFC. The new rules require groups in violation to receive a warning for their first infringement, create a written plan of action for their second and receive a fee for their third.

The committee also debated the level of segregated fees to be paid by students for the proposed commencement speaker fund.

Currently pitched at $1 to $2 per student per semester, the fund is half of a two-part project to bring in a high-profile commencement speaker while also condensing graduation down to one ceremony to be held at Camp Randall.

While some members advocated for higher student fees, others like Representative Cale Plamann disliked the idea altogether.

""I really believe a commencement speaker is a luxury,"" Plamann said.

Overall, however, the committee was in agreement that student segregated fees should fund the speaker, and plan to vote to set the dollar amount at their next meeting.

The SSFC will address the commencement speaker fee, as well as the committee's contract status suspension Monday.