Presidential news in brief

obams

Presidential news in brief

Obama's Manitowoc visit will focus on economy

President Obama will discuss economic solutions with workers during his tour of Orion Industries, a power technology company, in

Manitowoc Wednesday as part of his national ""White House to Main Street"" campaign.

The tour kicked off in Pennsylvania Dec. 2009, and since then the president has visited key swing states including Ohio, Iowa and Missouri.

The visit comes one day after the president's State of the Union address, to which congressman Paul Ryan, R-Wis., has been chosen by his party to respond.

Gov. Scott Walker congratulated Ryan on the honor and said he is receptive to Obama's visit.

""I welcome the president's visit to our state and the attention it will bring,"" Walker said in a statement. ""I appreciate the fact that he will come regardless of the outcome of Sunday's game and encourage Packers fans not to gloat too much when he is here.""

Obama honors UW professor for mentoring efforts

President Obama named UW-Madison professor Douglass Henderson a recipient of the Presidential Awards for Excellence in Science, Mathematics and Engineering Mentoring.

Henderson, an engineering professor, was one of 11 people and four organizations that President Obama honored.

In addition to receiving $10,000, Henderson will be honored at a White House ceremony next week.

The award recognizes the role mentoring plays in academic and personal development of students, especially underrepresented students, in the fields of science or engineering, according to a White House press release.

Henderson, who received his Ph.D. from UW-Madison in 1987, is a nuclear engineer.

""These individuals and organizations have gone above and beyond the call of duty to ensure that the United States remains on the cutting edge of science and engineering for years to come,"" President Obama said in a statement. ""Their devotion to the educational enrichment and personal growth of their students is remarkable, and these awards represent just a small token of our enormous gratitude.""