High-speed rail dead, development project continues

Although the high-speed rail project is dead, the downtown Madison area around the proposed rail station is set to be developed.

The Common Council has recently begun reviewing recommendations of what steps need to be taken next, according to the Wisconsin State Journal.

The development is set to include a Madison Public Market and a new underground parking structure, as well as possible new office space. There is also the possibility of the renovation of the Madison Municipal Building, which would turn it into a hotel.

The underground parking structure would replace parking spots from the Government East Parking Ramp, which is scheduled for demolition. The structure would be located below the Madison Municipal Building site, Pinckney Street and the proposed public market.

One issue still up in the air is the number of parking spaces to put in the new underground lot, as more will be needed if the rail project ever does regain traction. Under Mayor Dave Cieslewicz's 2011 Executive Capital Budget, the proposed lot would hold around 800 spaces.

The site where the Government East Ramp currently stands would be used for the market and office space, which would have a bike parking facility.

It is estimated the project will take a minimum of four to five years to complete.