Eating healthy is as easy as one, two, tree

Lydia Statz

I usually make it a point to stray from New Year's resolutions. What's the point of spending three weeks on a treadmill when my self-discipline will run itself dry by February anyway? But for 2011 I made the decision to end this boycott and chose to make a ""life resolution."" Starting this year, I am going to eat more real food.

What does that mean? Real food is just that, food that you can look at and know instantaneously what link on the food chain it was snatched from. My new diet will consist of fresh and distinguishable ingredients that lack any added preservatives. This might mean the food is organic, local and sometimes prepared at home.

My conviction to abandon over-processed food has been growing for a long time now. Michael Pollan's ""In Defense of Food"" opened my eyes to the horrors of the industrial food industry. After I watched the popular documentary ""Food, Inc.,"" my opinion of processed food fell further downhill. But it was Barbara Kingsolver's book ""Animal, Vegetable, Miracle,"" that sealed the deal. As soon as I finished the book I knew I could never be content with hormone-laden meat again.

Most of you have heard the arguments: Eating local and organic is better for animal welfare, the local economy, the earth and the body. But what the majority of individuals don't understand is that living on a pure diet can be incredibly easy.

Madison is lucky to be rich in co-ops and surrounded by family farms and other dedicated food distributors. The Dane County Farmer's Market is a great source for local produce, meats, dairy, eggs, honey and almost anything else you could have a craving for. 

Even now, when the ground is frozen solid, there are still great ways to find real food on campus. UW dining halls have made a commitment to serve more hyper-local fare, with produce sometimes traveling only a few yards from a garden to Frank's kitchen. Slow Food UW is a relatively new but a popular resource for students who are concerned about where their food comes from and what's all in it.

If you're preparing your own food, Trader Joe's and Fresh Madison Market have a varied selection of organic produce and meats. Though it's true they are often more expensive than the traditional option, eating healthy doesn't have to be a strain on your wallet. It can be as simple as spending an extra dollar to get organic apples today and bypassing the vending machine between classes tomorrow.

The beautiful thing is that you don't have to completely turn into a health-conscious hippie to make a difference. There are many ways to make smart purchases without having to fill your kitchen with organic brands. Saving money on organic eggs and buying the cheaper cage-free option is a simple step toward living green. In the dairy aisle you're usually hard-pressed to find cheese that comes from outside the state. Even Friday nights bring the opportunity to support the local economy with a hearty microbrew.  

So at the risk of sounding like one of ""those people,"" I'd like to urge each and every one of you to make simple, smarter food choices and be conscious about your eating and purchasing habits. Every time you shop, try to add at least one item to your cart that's a smart choice, whether it's local, organic or simply has fewer preservatives. I'm not asking anyone to swear off Cheetos, Oreos or other such nectars of the Gods, but stop and think next time you microwave a bowl of noodles with artificial cheese powder and call it ""food.""

Lydia Statz is a junior majoring in journalism and international studies. Please send all feedback to opinion@dailycardinal.com.