Bielema and Chryst agree to new compensation packages after historic season

If you have success in the world of college football, more likely than not, you are going to be rewarded for it. For Wisconsin football head coach Bret Bielema, and offensive coordinator Paul Chryst that was the case, as it was announced yesterday that both had agreed to new compensation packages  for the 2011-'12 season. Both coaches will see their pay increase substantially from last season.

Last year Bielema earned a base salary of $400,000, and was able to earn a total of $1,781,759 under the terms of his previous compensation package. The terms of his new 2011 deal stipulate that Bielema's new package will be worh about $2.5 million.

Bielema has a record of 49-16 in his  five seasons at the helm of the Wisconsin football program and led the team to one of their most successful sesasons ever this past year, finishing with an 11-2 record that included a share of the Big Ten conference title for the first time since 1999, and a trip to the Rose Bowl where they fell to TCU, 21-19.

With Chryst controlling the offense, the Badgers had the most prolific offensive season in school history. They set program records for points scored, points per game and rushing touchdowns. The offense averaged 41.5 points per game, which ranked tops in the Big Ten and fifth in the country, as well as ranking 21st in the nation in yards per game with 445.2.

After the season, Chryst's name came up in the conversation for several job openings around the country, including an intervie with Mack Brown for the offensive coordinator position at the Univeristy of Texas. Though, Chryst said before the Rose Bowl that he is happy at UW.

With a new deal in place, he should be even happier. Chryst will see his base salary jump from $305,000 to $405,000 under the teams of his new contract.

The money for these pay raises will be coming from unrestricted gifts in the UW Founadtion.  

The two new compensation packages still have to be approved by the University of Wisconsin Board of Regents. The board next meets on Feb. 10 and 11.