Top Ten: Madison's most influential figures- Number 2: Biddy Martin

Mayor Dave Cieslewicz might control all 77 square miles of Madison, but around campus one woman's influence might be even greater.

As UW-Madison's chancellor, Biddy Martin is at the head of one of Wisconsin's biggest employers and the university that made Madison the city it is today. Between the students and employees of UW-Madison, Martin's decisions likely influence more people than Cieslewicz—both within the city limits and beyond.

And while some of Martin's power comes from determining university policy, her decisions about what to do with millions of dollars of university funding is even more important. With revenue from tuition, donations and taxes coming into the university system each year, Martin has the power to decide where to allocate this money.

Over the next few years, Martin will need to increase her influence as she battles a Republican legislature that will likely look to decrease funding for the university. With Governor-elect Scott Walker's administration set to take over and Republicans controlling the legislature, Martin's influence in Madison and beyond will be put to the test. 

—Nico Savidge