No. 6 Wisconsin heads into final season stretch

Montee Ball: Sophomore Montee Ball, who filled in this Saturday for injured running backs John Clay and James White, piled up 127 yards, a career best, while scoring two touchdowns as the Badgers routed Purdue.

Wisconsin football head coach Bret Bielema discussed both his team's 34-13 victory over Purdue this past weekend, as well as the Badgers' (4-1 Big Ten, 8-1 overall) upcoming contest against Indiana during his weekly press conference Monday.

Bielema awarded this week's offensive MVP to sophomore running back Montee Ball, who saw increased action after junior John Clay and sophomore James White suffered injuries.

Ball was instrumental in the Badgers' victory, racking up a career high 127 rushing yards while scoring two touchdowns.  

""Can't say enough about Montee and what he did … getting himself prepared and stepping in when John [Clay] went down in the second half,"" Bielema said. ""Montee was really special.""

The defensive MVP was awarded to a pair of juniors: cornerback Antonio Fenelus and defensive tackle Patrick Butrym.

Fenelus was the Big Ten co-defensive MVP of the week, racking up nine tackles and icing the game with an interception return for a touchdown late in the fourth quarter.

Butrym, meanwhile, dominated the trenches all game long, recording five tackles.

""[Butrym] probably had the best game in his career to this point,"" Bielema said. ""He just really did a nice job getting off blocks and making plays.""

Bielema indicated he was excited to return home this week, realizing how long it had been since the Badgers' last home game—a victory over then-No. 1 Ohio State.

As Bielema reflected back on that game against the Buckeyes, he realized how big of a factor the crowd was in the team's victory, especially the student section. On their last road trip, Bielema stated that it was always a little disheartening to go to different venues and see other student sections filled an hour before the game even started. Bielema then issued a challenge to all UW students.  

""Anything we can do to encourage students … If we can get the student section going, I think it would be a very special thing to close out the rest of the year,"" Bielema said.

Bielema realizes that every game from here on out is critical in the Badgers' run to a possible BCS bowl game, and that run will start this weekend against Indiana.

Indiana (0-5 Big Ten, 4-5 overall) comes into this week's game having just lost an 18-13 nail-biter over No. 16 Iowa. Indiana is an explosive offensive team, ranking 11th in the nation in passing yards per game. That offense is led by senior quarterback Ben Chappell, who ranks first in the Big Ten in both passing yards and completions.

""Chappell has a great ability to throw all kinds of passes,"" Bielema said. ""It's a very difficult preparation. He doesn't get sacked very often because if he does get pressured he's not gonna take that sack, he's gonna get rid of the football. It's a difficult preparation for us.""

This will be the 57th meeting between Wisconsin and Indiana, with the Badgers leading the series 36-18-1 overall and 20-8-1 in Madison. Wisconsin has won five of the last six at Camp Randall Stadium.