Wisconsin keeps firm handle on Axe

Lance Kendricks, John Clay: Tight end Lance Kendricks throws a Minnesota defender airborn as running back John Clay follows behind. Clay finished the day with 21 carries for 111 yards and three touchdowns.

Wisconsin keeps firm handle on Axe

Without a spat after the game that manifested itself at midfield between Minnesota head coach Tim Brewster and Wisconsin head coach Bret Bielema in regards to Bielema's decision to try for the two point conversion despite being up by 25 points in the fourth quarter, this would have been one of the least dramatic battles for Paul Bunyan's Axe in recent memory.

The No. 20 Badgers (1-1 Big Ten, 5-1 overall) displayed control throughout, jumping out to a 14-0 lead early and dominating in the second half en route to a 41-23 victory that ensured Wisconsin bragging rights for a seventh consecutive year.

After Bielema announced at the beginning of the week that freshman running back James White would compete with junior John Clay for the starting spot in the backfield, both put their strengths on display for a Homecoming crowd of 80,328 at Camp Randall. White accumulated 118 yards on 19 carries, while Clay finished with 21 carries for 111 yards.    

""There is no slack when one of us comes out of the game,"" White said.

The Badgers also found some much-needed consistency through the air, as senior quarterback Scott Tolzien threw for 223 yard and a touchdown while completing 17 of his 23 attempts.

After a quiet game in his first game back from an injury last week against Michigan State, junior wide receiver Nick Toon looked to be back in 2009 form as he led the team with six catches.

Wisconsin put the finishing touches on its offensive day in the fourth quarter when White capped off a drive with his second touchdown of the day—this one from one yard out. He nearly scored the play before when he took a handoff, broke into the secondary and beat senior Minnesota cornerback Ryan Collado to the sideline with an unbelievable juke.

""[Senior wide receiver Isaac] Anderson came in and cracked the safety, and I cut the cut off of him,"" White said. ""Then I just did a little move to freeze the corner up and I ran right by him.""

Despite being up by 25 points at the time, Bielema decided to go for two point conversion. He later explained that every coach has a card that lists off whether it is in the team's best interest to kick an extra point or go for two, and plus-25 falls under the latter category.

""I know Tim [Brester] wasn't happy with it,"" Bielema said. ""But if I was down by 25 and it's in the third or fourth quarter, I would call a play knowing they were probably going to go for two, because that's what the card says.""

That particular decision is not likely to be forgotten by Minnesota coaches and underclassmen. For the Gopher seniors, however, there will be no chance at redemption and no axe.

""Their seniors have never touched it, and they'll leave Minnesota without ever touching the axe,"" Watt said. ""That's something we take great pride in and hopefully it's a tradition we can keep going for a long, long time.""