T.C. Katz receives approval from ALRC

T.C. Katz was granted approval from the Madison Alcohol Licensing Review Committee for a 21-plus entertainment license Wednesday. The bar is located in the space previously occupied by Ram Head.

In addition to finishing construction on the newly opened bar on North Henry Street, Co-owner Ryan Moore said he wants to add a list of headlining bands during the weekdays.

""We hope to have [disc jockey]s and cover bands playing popular music on weeknights starting in the next couple of months,"" Moore said.

Given the growing popularity of the bar on the weekends, Moore said he hopes to bring more business to the establishment during the week through live entertainment.

""The cost for live entertainment is minimal. We're happy to embrace it,"" Moore said.

Committee member Chet Gerlach said he had concern for the level of disturbance the new entertainment could cause the surrounding community.

""We have had problems in the past with certain kinds of entertainment that have proven to cause fights,"" Gerlach said.

Moore said he doesn't think there should be anything that would disturb neighbors.

""We're in a basement … I don't anticipate that anything would disturb the residents,"" Moore said. ""There's just no way.""

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, agreed with Moore.

""I would be surprised if any neighbors were disturbed,"" Verveer said.

Additionally, some members of the committee said they were concerned about crowd management.

""If the new entertainment proves to be consistently popular, we will add additional personnel,"" Moore said.

Verveer said he supports the new entertainment aspect of the bar.

""I encourage you to continue looking into an 18-plus license, to open the establishment to all ages at some point,"" Verveer said.

""Right now our staff is not equipped to handle under-18 patrons, and to keep them from drinking would be too much,"" Moore said. ""However, in the future I think that is an absolute,"" Moore said.

The Common Council will decide whether to approve the bar's request for a 21-plus entertainment license Nov. 9.

The Sconnie Bar and the Retro Tavern's requests for approval for a 21-plus entertainment license were also referred to the next ALRC meeting.