Johnson unconcerned with 'details,' focused on message

Republican U.S. Senate candidate Ron Johnson told the crowd at a UW-Milwaukee forum he does not ""believe this election is really about the details.""

During the forum, which was broadcast by Milwaukee Public Radio Station WUWM, Johnson took questions from the audience and talked about the economic climate.

""There is such a high level of uncertainty in this economy right now, people are unwilling to spend,"" Johnson said.

To solve the economic recession, Johnson said he would cancel the still-unused money from the stimulus bill and would like to repeal the health-care bill.

However, when asked about how to deal with the rising homelessness of Iraq and Afghan war veterans, he could not get into specifics, and said he is approaching this election like an interview process.

""When people come into my place of business and I'm interviewing them for a job,"" Johnson said, ""I don't expect them to come into that job interview and say, ‘Here are the problems you got and how are you gonna solve those?'""

In response, the Feingold campaign released a statement criticizing Johnson's supposed lack of plans to create jobs, pointing out other instances during which he avoided elaborating on details.

""No plan to create jobs. No plan to cut spending. Over $8 million in solutions-free television ads trying to fool voters,"" the campaign said in the statement. ""Wisconsin deserves better than Ron Johnson's empty whiteboard campaign.""

Feingold also participated in the UW-Milwaukee forum, although separately from Johnson. WUWM will broadcast his portion Thursday.

A poll conducted by St. Norbert College and Wisconsin Public Radio shows a tight race, with Johnson leading Feingold by two points, giving him a significantly narrower lead than he has in previous surveys.

The third and final debate between Johnson and Feingold will take place Friday at Marquette University Law School.