Committee recommends city purchase Overture Center

The Overture Ad Hoc Committee voted 6-3 Friday to recommend the city of Madison purchase the Overture Center and have a private non-profit operate the center.

Over the past six weeks the 10-member committee was appointed to examine potential business models for the center.

""We weren't given an easy job,"" committee Chairman Mark Bugher said.

The committee also recommended the city hire an architect or engineer to evaluate the condition of the arts center and hire an independent expert to review the business model.

Committee members James Garner, Ald. Tim Bruer, District 14, and former Mayor Paul Soglin voted against the motion.

The committee opted out of making a recommendation on what to do with current Overture Center employees. Those employees currently receive city pay rates and benefits, including the state retirement system. Bugher said the committee lacks both time and expertise on some of the issues.

The Common Council will now decide whether or not to purchase the $205 million center, whether to have a non-profit operate it and whether the employees should work for the city or the non-profit.

Soglin said Madison will face ""enormous costs"" for the next 30-40 years if it chooses to buy the Overture Center.

The city currently contributes $1.4 million annually plus inflation to the center and would have to cover an estimated $500,000 per year for debt payments on maintenance for the next 15 years if it takes ownership, according to the Wisconsin State Journal.

""I want a process and a resolution that is viable so the Overture is successful long into the future,"" Mayor Dave Cieslewicz told the committee before they voted.

Cieslewicz said he believes the committee and the city may not have all the answers, but can come up with a ""rock solid solution.""

Cieslewicz also told the committee he intends to get a decision by the end of the year.