Badgers overcome injuries, late deficit to beat Hawkeyes

Montee Ball: Montee Ball's 8-yard touchdown run put the Badgers up 31-30 with 1: 06 left in the fourth quarter.

IOWA CITY-Adversity tends to manifest itself on the road.

Saturday afternoon in Iowa City proved no different for the Wisconsin Badgers, but a combination of gutsy play-calling, execution and an offensive drive that simply would not be denied carried the Badgers to their second statement win in as many weeks in a 31-30 thriller over the Iowa Hawkeyes.

When Iowa scored in the first quarter to take a 6-3 lead, senior defensive end J.J. Watt made what would eventually stand as a crucial play when he forced pressure and blocked the extra point.

""I've always told our defensive players that to me the truest test of what a defense is is all about is how they play the PAT,"" UW head coach Bret Bielema said.

Watt's special teams play ended up being the difference on the scoreboard, but it would not have mattered if not for a converted fake punt on Wisconsin's final drive. With Iowa showing a return-oriented look on a 4th and 4 from the UW 26 yard line, junior punter Brad Nortman took the snap and raced up the middle for 17 yards and a first down.

""We made that call and once I saw them send out the punt return unit [it was on],"" Bielema said.

UW figured to be challenged by Iowa's staunch defense even with a full complement of weapons on offense. Wisconsin kept pace with Iowa and turned in 21 second-half points with a lot less than that. Junior wide receiver Nick Toon did not play because of a quad bruise suffered last week. After senior tight end Lance Kendricks left the game with an ankle injury in the first quarter, UW also lost freshman running back James White to a knee injury in the second quarter.

In each case, a teammate stepped up in a big moment. Senior wide receiver Isaac Anderson turned a short third quarter pass from senior quarterback Scott Tolzien into a 30-yard catch-and-run to Iowa's 2 yard line in a drive that eventually saw Wisconsin take a 24-20 lead.

Junior tight end Jacob Pedersen hauled in a 12-yard catch to convert a third down on UW's game-winning drive.

Sophomore running back Montee Ball led the team with five catches out of the backfield, including a clutch fourth down grab in the waning moments.

""I felt I was kind of flying under the radar,"" said Ball, who ultimately scored the game-winning touchdown with 1:06 to play. ""I didn't want to let my team down.""

In a game that never saw the two teams separated by more than six points, the Badgers stayed in the race for a Big Ten championship with a victory in a hostile environment against one of the elite teams in the country.

""I'm really, really proud of my players and coaches today,"" Bielema said.