ASM election results announced, turnout low

The Associated Students of Madison released the results of their fall election Wednesday night.

UW-Madison first year students elected Andrew Bulovsky, Cody Ostenson, Arturo ""Tito"" Diaz and Sarah Neibart to serve on student council.

The student body elected TJ Madsen, Michael Dowden, Rafael Yah, Jason Smathers and Andrea Bill to student council.

Rae Lymer and Riaan Roux were elected to Student Services Finance Committee, the committee that distributes funds to UW-Madison student organizations.

Election turnout was 6 percent, down from 7.2 percent last year.

ASM Chair Brandon Williams said this turnout disappointed him.

""We always strive to hit as high a mark as we possibly can, but fall elections are typically less of a turnout than spring,"" Williams said.

Students' votes also passed amendments changing Student Justices' terms from four years to two and to remove the term ""freshman"" from the ASM constitution and redefine it as a ""first year student.""

At its weekly meeting Wednesday, ASM approved a grant for $12,000 to the Hoofer Ski and Snowboard Club for their Ski and Snowboard Rail Jam.

This event will occur at Memorial Union in November. The student group will create a structure covered in snow for about 30 snowboarders to compete on. They predict around 1,000 students will attend.

ASM also approved a $5,000 grant to help the EDGE Project, an initiative dedicated to international development, travel to Lingira Island in Uganda next June. This money will go toward travel expenses.