Wide receivers look to capitalize on chances

toon: Junior wide receiver Nick Toon led the Badgers in receptions (54) and yards (805) last season. He caught four passes for 51 yards in week one against UNLV.

When your average starting offensive lineman checks in at 6'5"" and 323 pounds and your starting tailback is the reigning Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year, it's only natural that the lion's share of attention centers on running the football.

That is precisely the position that the Badgers find themselves in early this season, and on top of junior running back John Clay, Wisconsin featured two other capable backs in sophomore Montee Ball and freshman James White. That does not mean, however, that there is any griping coming from the receiving unit.

""Our offensive mentality is to establish the running game first and then take our shots down the field,"" senior wide receiver Isaac Anderson said. ""We've got big play opportunities to go down and stretch the field. When the opportunity is there, we have to make plays.""

On Saturday against UNLV,  senior quarterback Scott Tolzein found just that sort of opportunity off of a play-action fake, hooking up with senior wide receiver David Gilreath for a 45-yard gain that put the Badgers at UNLV's one yard line. It is in situations like these, when teams load eight and even nine men in the box, that the running game sets up the passing game. However head coach Bret Bielema pointed out that it can work the other way as well.

""On the first series [against UNLV], John Clay gets all the accolades because he scored our first touchdown,"" Bielema said. ""But it was a third down catch by David Gilreath and [senior tight end] Lance Kendricks that made the drive happen.""

Although the Badgers are without their second leading receiver from a year ago, graduated tight end Garrett Graham, the unit is still one of the most experienced on the team. The starters, Anderson and junior standout Nick Toon, have combined to make 32 starts. Gilreath, the slot receiver, has 11 career starts and has appeared in 40 games, best on the team.

That game experience should show itself early in the season against smaller schools and through the league play when matched up with a younger secondary. Wide receivers coach DelVaughn Alexander, however, does not want his players to rely on experience alone.

""They may have playing time but that's about it,"" he said. ""Everybody that you face on the field is probably pretty good players. [The defensive backs] wouldn't be out there if they couldn't get the job done.""

This week's opponent, San Jose State, has good team speed on defense according to Bielema, but the Spartans' secondary depth will be tested by the multitude of options at Wisconsin's disposal. White caught three passes for 37 yards out of the backfield against UNLV and Kendricks is a preseason favorite to garner All-Big Ten honors at season's end.

Bielema said Monday that he would like to get Tolzein in a better rhythm this week, which means the Badgers may go to the air early. If that is the case, Tolzein will likely look to Kendricks often, as the two built a rapport as the season went along last year. He was quiet against UNLV, catching just one pass for five yards.

""Number one is running good routes,"" said Kendricks, when asked about what needs to improve this weekend. ""There were a couple of routes that I slipped on. I just have to keep my eyes open and run smart routes.""

Wisconsin will by no means be a passing team this year, but the offense has weapons all over the field, and will be most effective if they're all utilized.