Not so gaga for Goo Goo Dolls

Goo Goo Dolls : For years, the Goo Goo Dolls have been producing countless hits that spotlighted their softness and attention to detail. Their latest release forgoes this style and focuses on something a little more robust.

Not so gaga for Goo Goo Dolls

The Goo Goo Dolls' new album, Something for the Rest of Us, reminds listeners that the Goo Goo Dolls have their own style, one that appeals to those both interested and not interested in mainstream music. This is the style they should stick to, and while a few songs on their new album show some promise, the rest of the tracks could be left out as they lack the originality the group once possessed.

While the new album has great musical value and is definitely worth listening to, it falls short of the expectations built on top of the high quality the Goo Goo Dolls delivered with their original music, the music that put them on the map. The slow, alternative feel created by copious amounts of acoustic guitar helped to create hits like ""Iris,"" ""Sympathy"" and ""Black Balloon."" It was music that was easy to listen to in almost any setting.

In Something for the Rest of Us, the Goo Goo Dolls move away from their once beloved softness almost all together, relying on drums and lead guitar instead.

While this might work for any other band, it doesn't work for the Goo Goo Dolls. It is not what we are used to, can why change what is still enjoyed? Instead, on Something for the Rest of Us, the Goo Goo Dolls go more with a varied instrumental approach, one seen previously in their hit, ""Stay With You."" It's a style focused on the impact of guitar and a dominant drum presence, instead of working to preserve the delicacy of an acoustic guitar.

This new, harder personality works well with Something for the Rest of Us' lyrics, but the tracks would be more enjoyable if the instrumentals were taken down a notch, or four.

When Goo Goo Dolls fans are forced to choose between listening to their newest album or getting a little nostalgic and indulging in their older hits, most would undoubtedly go with the oldies. This is not just because they are more popular and have been stuck in people's heads for the better part of a decade, but because they are more motivational and make a greater positive impact on one's mood. The songs and music are great, but Something for the Rest of Us just feels as if the Goo Goo Dolls were trying too hard to make a new impression on mainstream music.

Not all of the tracks hold little value, though. The album's title track best reflects the softer acoustic style of the Goo Goo Dolls' past, and the acoustic version of ""Home"" is equally delicate, even though it has a few other instrumental missteps.

All in all, the Goo Goo Dolls have produced an album worth investigating, even though it serves as a total change of pace. While it won't replace their previous works or trump hits like ""Slide,"" it will keep Goo Goo fans entertained, even if the band is using new, less catchy methods.