Barrett education policy looks to boost funding for schools

Wisconsin gubernatorial candidate Tom Barrett revealed his plan to finance K-12 schools throughout the state Thursday.

Barrett said he wants to work with the government to solve the problem of inadequate funding going into Wisconsin's schools.

He pinpointed two primary issues, the first being the struggle for schools to pay for operating costs like busing or heating. Schools struggle to pay for these services when their enrollment decreases, Barrett said in a statement.

In addition, Barrett said fluctuating property values do not allocate enough funding to students from low-income districts.

""To make matters worse, many homeowners in underfunded districts are now facing increased school taxes, at a time when they can afford it least,"" Barrett's statement said.

Andrew Reschovsky, professor of public and school finance, said although Barrett did not disclose much detail in his education reform statement, he appreciates Barrett taking a stand on education financing.

""I'm glad to see any candidate who addresses those issues because I think it is a very fundamental and important issue for Wisconsin moving forward,"" he said.

Barrett's opponents, Mark Neumann and Scott Walker, have proposed their own plans for educational funding.

Chris Lato, spokesperson for Mark Neumann, said tax dollars would be allocated directly to schools under Neumann's program to avoid unneeded costs.

""[Neumann would] remove bureaucratic state controls so local administrators are empowered to make the best decisions for the children,"" Lato said.

Scott Walker would like to allow districts to pool their money and grade schools on their academic performance, according to his release.

Under Walker's plan, schools with lower test scores, graduation rates and other factors would be given resources from the state.