Badgers welcome South Dakota State and in-state rival UWM to weekend set at McClimon

Laurie Nosbusch: Junior Laurie Nosbusch, the Badger?s leading point scorer last season, returned to the field for the first time this season last Saturday.

Following a brief road trip to Seattle last weekend, the women's soccer team (0-3-1) is looking forward to a return home, where the team will open up a short two game home stand Friday night against South Dakota State (2-1-1).  

Freshman midfielder Kodee Williams netted the Badgers first goal last weekend against Washington to send that game into overtime.  Scoring her first collegiate goal, others hope to follow her lead when Wisconsin hosts the Jackrabbits at the McClimon Soccer Complex.

""It was our first goal of the season and I think it was really something we needed to get off our shoulders in order to go forward,"" said Williams.

Another big step forward for the Badgers has been the return of last season's leading point scorer in junior forward Laurie Nosbusch.  Nosbusch returned to the field against Portland last Saturday after missing Wisconsin's first two games due to an injury.  Starting 22 games last season, she found the back of the net six times and had six assists, finishing the season with 18 points.  

""It feels great [to be back on the field], when you're healthy and playing you kinda take it for granted,"" said Nosbusch. ""It's not until you're injured and sidelined, watching practices and games, that you appreciate the ability to play.""

Wisconsin will then finish their home stand on Sunday when the play host to in-state rival UW-Milwaukee (2-2-2). When these two teams met last year, the game went into double overtime and ended with a 0-0 tie.  

When asked about the mentality of the team going into this weekend, Coach Paula Wilkins admitted that this is a must win weekend for her team.

In practice, the team has been putting a large emphasis on working on set pieces, especially marking and being physical in the box, an area that has really hurt the Badgers this season.  The Badgers have allowed four goals off set pieces in four games.  

""I thought we had a great spell in the Washington game where we kept possession for the first part, and then we lacked in focus,"" said Wilkins.

This weekend, Wisconsin looks to put together two solid performances, build up cohesion between the team, and above all else, score some goals. If the team is able to achieve these goals, the Badgers can expect to end the weekend with a pair of long awaited wins.