Neumann stresses need for competition in state schools

Republican gubernatorial candidate Mark Neumann released a plan June 21 to reform Wisconsin's primary and secondary education systems.

""I will form a Blue Ribbon Panel on Education reform to increase accountability, innovation, parental involvement and local control,"" Neumann said in a statement.

Speaking in front of the Department of Public Instruction, he proposed a number of changes. One component of his plan entails creating competition within the education system by replacing public schools that are not performing well. The performance would be based on standardized test scores compared with private or charter schools.

""By creating competition, you encourage everybody to work harder and do their best,"" Chris Lato, Neumann's campaign spokesperson, said. ""Competition helps everybody rise to the level. It's about accountability.""

Neumann also recommended eliminating costly state mandates and certification requirements for teachers and administrators.

Graeme Zielinski, spokesperson for the Democratic Party of Wisconsin, called Neumann's plan ""irresponsible.""

""[These are] basic benchmarks that the state has kept forever,"" Zielinski said.  ""How is Wisconsin going to compete in a global marketplace if we don't certify our teachers?  He doesn't want to have them meet basic standards? There is no legislator, Republican or Democrat, who would pass this thing.""

Neumann is competing with Milwaukee County Executive Scott Walker for the Republican Party nomination. One of them will face Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett, a Democrat, in the general election.  Neither Walker nor Barrett commented directly on Neumann's proposal, but said in statements that they support education in Wisconsin as a path to economic growth.