Fifteen proposals chosen to receive remainder of MIU second round funds

Chancellor Biddy Martin announced 15 proposals to receive the remainder of the second round of Madison Initiative for Undergraduates funding Monday.

The second round allocated about $8.2 million to a total of 22 proposals asking for new faculty and programs.

Among the 15 proposals funded in the second part of round two were proposals for increased faculty in the chemistry, international studies, economics, spanish and history departments.

Other proposals funded includ a Digital Studies Initiative in the School of Education and a proposal to expand Residential Learning Communities within University Housing.

According to Aaron Brower, vice provost for teaching and learning, the MIU is an initiative created by Martin last spring. The goal is to increase access in high-demand classes and to develop innovations in undergraduate education.

The MIU funds are generated from an additional tuition fee of $250 for in-state students and $750 for out-of-state students over the next four years.

Several departments across campus submitted proposals for the funding earlier this year. Martin then received recommendations as to which proposals to fund from two committees—one comprised entirely of students and the other a mixture of students, faculty and staff.

Brower said he felt Martin's decisions were fairly close to what the committees recommended and that her decisions reflect the overall goals of the MIU.

""She took the recommendations and considered them very closely, and I personally feel like she made the right decisions from what was there,"" he said.

Roughly 55 faculty, 25 staff and over 50 TAs were hired throughout both of the first two rounds. Proposals for the third and final round of funds, which is just under $4 million, will be accepted in Fall 2010.