Victim of fatal shooting on south side ID'd

Moorland shooting graphic 3/9

A 27-year-old Fitchburg man was found fatally shot early Monday morning on Madison's south side.

The victim, Lofton Sprouls, was shot outside the Nob Hill apartment complex in the 1100 block of Moorland Road, where he had been living.

Further information regarding the victim is forthcoming pending the completion of the coroner's report, said Howard Payne, a public information officer for the Madison Police Department.

Sprouls was shot around 2:30 a.m. Monday and taken to a nearby hospital after police were contacted by a concerned resident. He was pronounced dead shortly before 4 a.m. after efforts to resuscitate the victim were unsuccessful, Payne said.

According to Payne, the concerned resident heard commotion and a fired gunshot.

Based on evidence gathered from investigators at the scene and data uncovered from detectives thus far, police said the incident does not appear to be a random act.

There are currently no suspects in custody but investigators report a number of individuals are being interviewed, according to Payne.

Police said there is a possibility the motive for the shooting may have been drug-related.

""I think with the ongoing questioning that is occurring as we speak, those answers will hopefully be given at a later time. But right now, that's not being ruled out,"" Payne said.

Police said they do not believe the incident is ""linked with any other homicides or shootings."" There is no information indicating the public or campus is in danger, according to Payne.

""There's nothing that leads us to believe the public is in any sort of danger whatsoever,"" he said.

Police urge anyone with information to contact Crime Stoppers at (608) 266-6014.